We just past Memorial Day in the United States. The day we remember those who have paid the ultimate price for the freedom and liberty we have in this country. As I was enjoying the day, I remembered a line in the movie “Saving Private Ryan“. The scene where Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks) looks at Private Ryan (Matt Damon) and says “Earn this…Earn it” That line and the thought of earning what others have paid for with their lives has struck me. At the end of the movie and old Private Ryan Visits the Grave of Capt. Miller. Overcome with emotion he asks his Wife, Have I led a good life…Am I a good man?” What a question. What does it take to earn the freedom we have been given? What does it mean to lead in life, to be a good person?
- Refuse to play the blame game.
- Quit making excuses
- Blame and excuses are the marks of the unsuccessful
- Be responsible for your actions and the actions of those you lead
- Accept feedback from both criticism and complements
- Whatever we have in this life is due to those who have gone before
- Give back to the generation before you
- Give back to your generation
- Give back to the generation coming behind you
- Give credit
- Give honor
- Give Respect
- Give yourself
- Live within predetermined boundaries
- Spend less than you make
- Be productive everyday
- Decide to be positive
- Love yourself so you can love others
Diligent leaders understand the power of earning. When it is earned you gain.