I love this time of year. It is a good time to recalibrate, refocus, and renew our mind, body and spirit around the incredible blessings of life, friendship, faith, and family. This time of year is to remind us to be thankful everyday of our life. It is good to focus on certain areas such as gratitude, but use this time to recalibrate and stay thankful every day.
Here are some ways to keep gratitude foundational not just seasonal:
Keep a journal – Count Your Blessings
- Make a section in your journal to write what you are thankful for.
- Take time to reflect on the previous days accomplishments
- Write down the things you can appreciate
Change your thinking – Think on These Things
How you think is foundational to your gratitude. Thankfulness is a state of mind. Here is what we are told to think on in the Bible (Philippians 4:8):
Fix your thoughts on what is
- Things that are excellent
- Things that are worthy of praise.
Focus on the Intentions of Others
- Remember what others have done
- The time they have given.
- The gift, resource, even money they have given.
Stay in Today
- Many times we get ahead of ourselves and worry about things in the future.
- Focus on today and what you are thankful for today.
- Eat right
- Healthy lifestyle promotes healthy mental
Breath, Just Breath
- Take a break from the grind, todo lists, and expectations of others.
- Step outside and take a deep breath of the cool air.
- Look at the creation around you.
- Take a walk.
- When you clear your mind and take a break it is like sharpening the saw.
Communicate in the moment
- Tell someone you appreciate them.
- Write a thank you note.
- Simply say thank you.
Determine in the Difficult
It is hard to be thankful when you are in a difficult relationship, dead end job, or no way out situation. But you can determine to be thankful in the difficult. Focus on what you are thankful for:
- you have a job to pay your bills.
- the people you have met because of the relationship.
- what you have learned in the situation for the future.
Staying grateful is foundational to your success as a leader, parent, christ follower, neighbor, spouse, employee, or employer. Don’t let this season of thanksgiving go by without retooling your foundation to stay grateful.
How do you stay Thankful? Comment below: