For years I have had a motto I live by. Everybody’s a Keeper. It is a philosophy that has guided me in my personal leadership. To view and treat everyone you meet as a keeper there are 10 keys to ensure that you will be the kind of leader who adds value to others.
Key #1 – Trust
- You have to trust
- You can’t do it all
- Trust people to teach
- Trust people to be you – Live vicariously
- Trust people to make decisions
- Live trustworthy – live in such a way to be trusted
Key #2 – Show up
- 80% of the battle is simply showing up for the job
- Let your yes be yes
- If you say you are going to do something-do it
- If you say you are going to show up-show up.
- Integrity in your words and Action
Key #3 – People are sacred
- People are the reason we are leaders.
- You cannot lead a building, or a program, or a budget.
- You can only lead people because only people can follow.
Key #4 – Be relevant
- Understand your environment
- Understand your culture
- Understand your Times
The only way for you to be relevant is if you know those you lead.
Key #5 – Just do it
- Sometimes the only way to get started is to just do it.
- You must just start.
- No amount of meetings or planning or team building will ever take the place of just going out and doing it.
Key #6 – Pray
- Mystique of leadership. When you pray God imparts new ideas, strategies, wisdom.
- Every time people see you there is something new and fresh
- Know your God – Most important for a leader.
Key #7 – Be Flexible
- Leadership is an ever-changing thing because of people ever-changing.
- You must be flexible or you and those you lead will break.
Key #8 – Walk Slow
- Get your work done before the people show up.
- Walk slow and pay attention to the people.
- Look them in the eye and listen to them.
- Don’t look past them to who is coming next.
Key #9 – Know your enemy
- We do not wrestle against flesh and blood.
- As leaders we have to make decisions that some will not like or go in directions some do not agree with.
- Remember those who do not agree with you are not the enemy.
- THEY ARE NOT THE ENEMY!!!
- Remember everybody is a keeper.
- Sometimes you just have to figure out where to keep them.
Key #10 – Ask
- Always ask questions
- Questions are the best way to lead
- Questions tell you where the leadership gaps are
- Always ask for help
- You want a team
- The Lone Ranger had Tonto
- Batman had Alfred
- Super Man had Lois
- You want a team
Question: How do you view people?